1 2 3
Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/7/20 5:31 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Odd that this thread pops up having just taken down 800mg of advil trying to keep my eyes open, with my left arm completely berkeleyin fried- and I need that E36 M3 working tomorrow. I'm gonna have to look more into this. 

Amateur...I was running on 3000mg a day for 2.5 years. laugh

Yes, I'm also aware that's not good for the liver, fortunately I didn't drink during that time period. But my god did I want to!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/7/20 5:43 p.m.
Gingerbeardman said:
Mndsm said:

Odd that this thread pops up having just taken down 800mg of advil trying to keep my eyes open, with my left arm completely berkeleyin fried- and I need that E36 M3 working tomorrow. I'm gonna have to look more into this. 

Amateur...I was running on 3000mg a day for 2.5 years. laugh

There is a genetic test you can do to figure out which painkillers will work best for you. It isn't always covered by insurance, so it can be expensive, but it is worth it if you're taking any painkiller daily. My wife found out that the ibuprofen (advil, motrin) her mom was giving her was pointless except to maybe give her a stomach ulcer. I haven't taken it, but I assume it is why I can take 1600mg of it and not feel any relief, but Naproxen (Aleve) works wonders.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
1/7/20 6:07 p.m.

once it is legal federally i might try it, but working for state govt, even the smallest chance of testing hot isnt worth it right now.

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/7/20 7:43 p.m.
mtn said:

There is a genetic test you can do to figure out which painkillers will work best for you. It isn't always covered by insurance, so it can be expensive, but it is worth it if you're taking any painkiller daily. My wife found out that the ibuprofen (advil, motrin) her mom was giving her was pointless except to maybe give her a stomach ulcer. I haven't taken it, but I assume it is why I can take 1600mg of it and not feel any relief, but Naproxen (Aleve) works wonders.

Interesting! Ibuprofen works for me, Tylenol really only helps me with fevers and Naproxen has never worked for me. But man, you're right about ibu being hard on the stomach!

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
1/7/20 10:48 p.m.

In reply to Gingerbeardman :

Too much ibuprofen, naproxen or other ansaids can also lead to bad cario outcomes. Y'all be careful.

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/7/20 11:03 p.m.
M2Pilot said:

In reply to Gingerbeardman :

Too much ibuprofen, naproxen or other ansaids can also lead to bad cario outcomes. Y'all be careful.

My doc told me that I'm truly lucky I'm in such good physical condition, as the low-level infection from two bad teeth, chronic use of caffeine (coffee, Rockstar, Mtn Dew and JetAlert) and ibuprofen, plus adrenal fatigue, were stressing my heart much harder than someone my age should be. Couple that with depression, insomnia, anxiety and a nervous breakdown, it was a rough year.

Walking away from a bad job, lots of rest, exercise and fresh air have made a world of difference for my mental and physical health.

I'm not looking for a cure-all, just something that helps take the sharp edge off the gnawing anxiety so I can get back to a more neutral point.

Please don't take any of that as whining or bragging...I pushed my body and mind far past the point of sanity for an unrealistic goal and thankless cause. It's amazing how unhealthy we can be while doing "normal" things in our society. It's also amazing how much our body can heal if we give it time and resources.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/7/20 11:38 p.m.

Bit of a random pop up. Missed this thread the first time around, but here goes something.

I've been using a CBD rub from a maker just a few miles donw the road oddly enough. Been interested in what any CBD product weather THC is involved or not, due to my epilepsy, but my meds control seizures, so no plans to try for that. Been using the topical on my torn rotator cuff and tendonosis. I haven't noticed much of a difference. When I applied it to the toe I broke the other night, it was as if I just popped a pain reliever. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but I'm not one to use drugs outside my anti-convulsants.

willtron
willtron New Spammer
2/4/20 11:55 p.m.

Because of the lack of a "complete scientific consensus" on the efficacy of CBD, I would highly recommend trying some yourself. 
I take [canoes] to regulate my anxiety and muscle pain. My sister uses it for anxiety as well, and she still uses [post edits] in emergency situations. My best success with [canoeing has been in the winter, in a wetsuit... there's fewer people flooding up the campsites, and I can become one with Mother Nature.  You should invest in Canoeing too!]

raysh
raysh New Spammer
2/28/20 9:48 a.m.

I had a trapped nerve in my arm for years that was painful with pins and needles going right down to my hand. CBD oil really relieved the pain so much, that after a few months the pain has gone.  [so now I have more time for canoeing!]

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
11/6/22 12:48 p.m.

It's all marketing.....

"The ones that mother gives you don't do anything at all."

Certainly there is some therapeutic benefit for some folks.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eStTwKPYwEOZVkcled8d5nmrEbv17wqJSWdt8h81d2NWfFfgtX5RbfAWdmfHvvYX