Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
10/31/22 6:08 p.m.

TIL that when they take a pelvic x-ray, the x-ray girls can totally see your junk. 

Minor confession: It wasn't my best work. sad

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/31/22 6:19 p.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

Fahren is the German word for travel/driving/etc, so I expect that Norwegian is kinda similar.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
10/31/22 6:51 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I still have copies of Gute Fahrt magazine from when I was in Germany. 

I think there may have been boobies on the last page!

wae
wae PowerDork
11/1/22 9:40 a.m.

TIL a cool trick for separating a transmission from an engine:

Take out ALL the bolts before you start with the prybar...

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
11/1/22 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Being 12 or so when we lived in Germany those signs were gold for a few months when we moved there.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/2/22 2:34 p.m.

Today I learned that the voice announcing the instruments in Mike Oldfield's "The Bell" from 1992 is Alan Rickman. How did I not notice that before today? 25 years or so I've been listening to this album and blam ""That's Alan Rickman!" I said. 

No Time
No Time UltraDork
11/2/22 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

When I had a CT last spring after getting onto the CT platform the nurse gave me a blanket and said to cover up and the pull my pants down to my knees.

She told me the belt buckle and zipper would interfere with the imaging. The expression on her face was priceless when I asked if my piercings would be a problem for imaging surprise 

(Picture a 50ish guy with gray hair, overweight, and dressed in business casual asking the the question with a straight face)

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/3/22 8:29 a.m.

TIL that in 1961 GM built prototype Impalas that were FWD with an air-cooled flat-10.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/3/22 1:37 p.m.
NickD said:

TIL that in 1961 GM built prototype Impalas that were FWD with an air-cooled flat-10.

Which, on first read, sounds like just about the most awkward packaging imaginable.

Of course, this is GM we're talking about.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/3/22 1:40 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Indeed.  I can't think of a way that could work transverse or longitudinally.  Bear in mind, too, that the Corvair setup was not the most compact, neither was the TH425.  GM only knew how to make whopping big castings.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/3/22 2:03 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Pics or it didn't happen. laugh

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/3/22 2:13 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to NickD :

Pics or it didn't happen. laugh

I found this.  It's not a good looking car.

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
11/7/22 7:09 a.m.

TIL (well, actually yesterday) that if you combine an International Dateline crossing with the change from Daylight Savings Time back to Standard Time, you can make a Sunday last for 49 hours. 

No Time
No Time UltraDork
11/7/22 10:26 p.m.

TIL that lab puppies (black and chocolate) may exceed challenge budget limits. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic HalfDork
11/9/22 1:05 a.m.
dculberson said:

Today I learned that the voice announcing the instruments in Mike Oldfield's "The Bell" from 1992 is Alan Rickman. How did I not notice that before today? 25 years or so I've been listening to this album and blam ""That's Alan Rickman!" I said. 

TIL that not only am I not the only person in the world who likes Mike Oldfield but who even knows who he is. smiley Check out the 3 tubular bells at 4:48, someday I want to build some deep sounding wind chimes out of 4" emt electrical conduit.

Precalculated Metal Chimes Dimensions

A better quality version without without seeing the bells.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/9/22 7:59 a.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

In Santa Fe, I saw a guy had three made of welding gas tanks suspended on chain,dunno if it was a wind chime or doorbell.  A home made clacker inside but I wasn't brave enough to investigate further.

mapper
mapper HalfDork
11/9/22 8:44 a.m.
No Time said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

When I had a CT last spring after getting onto the CT platform the nurse gave me a blanket and said to cover up and the pull my pants down to my knees.

She told me the belt buckle and zipper would interfere with the imaging. The expression on her face was priceless when I asked if my piercings would be a problem for imaging surprise 

(Picture a 50ish guy with gray hair, overweight, and dressed in business casual asking the the question with a straight face)

Same exact thing for my PET scan on Monday but I wasn't in the state of mind to offer any humor.  Another missed opportunity!

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
11/9/22 10:15 p.m.

TIL that VW made a front engine rear drive van like a Vanagon. The motor is a 2.0 based on the motor that is in the 924, but setup to handle really lousy gas. 85 RON or 80 RON, depending on the compression ration.  That is about 80 or 75 in North American (R+M)/2 numbers, with 74 or 70 HP to match.

eBay listing of a 1978 Westfalia version

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/10/22 7:35 a.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Meaning it makes even less power than a VW van normally does?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/10/22 8:07 a.m.

TIL a 1989 three spoke Saab steering wheel (no airbag) will not fit on a 1991.   =~  (

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
11/10/22 8:48 a.m.

Pennsylvania Institute of Technology has a 727-200 that was donated by Fed Ex that is now used for student training.   It may not be airworthy but the engines still run, saw this video of some high school kids being led through the steps by one of the professors.   I wanna try this!

iansane
iansane Dork
11/10/22 10:51 a.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Badass.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/11/22 3:08 p.m.

... a new scam.

Official looking text from USPS, logo and all; ;  "You package is not deliverable due to incorrect address.  Pleas supply the following information"

Attached is a fillable form for name, address etc.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/11/22 3:59 p.m.

TIL that you can get a Chevy Express 2500 with a 4.3L V6. Not sure why you'd want to, but you can.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/11/22 4:05 p.m.
NickD said:

TIL that you can get a Chevy Express 2500 with a 4.3L V6. Not sure why you'd want to, but you can.

Probably cause they 6.6 barely gets 11mpg around town.  Scares everyone away. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MymVFt7PYKQtec5dkuZkFRpeXatoDcFIjEVnQMdgwkWpoQfVR5pZ2HpR2wkhmuSk